Does your fluid warmer leach aluminum?
Studies have shown many blood and fluid warmers leach aluminum into infusates.
Level 1® Fast Flow Fluid Warmer
- Cabrera, J.A., Borton, L.K. and Barrett, G. (2020), Quantified aluminium levels released into blood and fluids using the Level 1 Fast Flow Fluid Warmer. Anaesthesia, 75: 271-272. https://doi.org/10.1111/anae.14881 - https://associationofanaesthetists-publications.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/anae.14881
- Perl, T., Kunze-Szikszay, N., Bräuer, A. et al. Aluminium release and fluid warming: provocational setting and devices at risk. BMC Anesthesiol 21, 163 (2021). https://doi.org/10.1186/s12871-021-01378-7 - https://bmcanesthesiol.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12871-021-01378-7
- Perl, T., Kunze-Szikszay, N., Bräuer, A., Quintel, M., Röhrig, A.L., Kerpen, K. and Telgheder, U. (2019), Aluminium release by coated and uncoated fluid-warming devices. Anaesthesia, 74: 708-713. https://doi.org/10.1111/anae.14601 https://associationofanaesthetists-publications.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/anae.14601
- Pike H. enFlow fluid warming device: warning over risk of aluminum toxicity BMJ 2019; 364 :l1126 doi:10.1136/bmj.l1126 - https://www.bmj.com/content/364/bmj.l1126
FDA Class I Recalls Due to Potential Aluminum Exposure
Level 1® Fast Flow Fluid Warmer – Class I Recall
ThermaCor® 1200 – Class I Recall
enFlow™ – Class I Recall
FDA Letter to Health Care Providers
Potential Risk of Aluminum Leaching with Use of Certain Fluid Warmer Devices
Why worry when you don’t have to?
Symptoms of harmful levels of aluminum exposure may not be easily recognized and may include bone or muscle pain and weakness, anemia, seizures, or coma.1 Additionally, not all long-term effects of aluminum exposure have been identified. Aluminum exposure has been linked to neurological disorders including Alzheimer’s, bone diseases such as osteoporosis and even breast cancer.2 The Belmont Rapid Infuser RI-2® disposables are 100% aluminum-free. Designed to provide increased safety, with automatic air detection and removal, and in-line pressure regulation, you can fully focus on providing the best care to your patients without the added concern of aluminum toxicity. Don’t just trust The Belmont® for saving a life today, but also tomorrow.
- Cabrera, J.A., Borton, L.K. and Barrett, G. (2020), Quantified aluminium levels released into blood and fluids using the Level 1 Fast Flow Fluid Warmer. Anaesthesia, 75: 271-272. https://doi.org/10.1111/anae.14881
- Igbokwe IO, Igwenagu E, Igbokwe NA. Aluminium toxicosis: a review of toxic actions and effects. Interdiscip Toxicol. 2019;12(2):45-70. doi:10.2478/intox-2019-0007 - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7071840/